Annandale, New Jersey History
Annandale Train Station
The first train rolled through on July 4, 1852. The people were surprised! It used to take three days to go to New York City from Hunterdon. With the train, you could go to the City and come back the very same day. You can understand why the people were so happy with the trains.
Something else happened with the coming of the railroads. New settlements developed and some old settlements got a new life.
Since the tracks couldn't get to White House, a station was built south of the village. It was called White House Station, and soon grew bigger than the older village.
Lebanon Borough got a station, which quickly became a major center for shipping farm crops to the big cities.
The closest the rails came to the town of Clinton was two miles to the east. Travelers took a stagecoach from the station into town. It wasn't long before a new village grew around the station. Today that village is called Annandale.
A station north of Annandale was built just past the railroad's high bridge. The town of High Bridge grew-up around the station.
Original Clinton Station train station from the Collection of the Red Mill Museum Village
Original Clinton Station train station. Renamed Annandale in 1871.
Postmarked Dec. 14, 1885
Sent from Morrisville in Bucks Co PA to J.H. Miller Station Agent in Annandale
c. 1852 Renovations were made to the depot in 1870.
The original structure above was demolished in the early 20th Century and was replaced with the smaller structure below completed by June 1900.
The station below was designed by architect Bradford Lee Gilbert and erected between 1899-1900.
See page 82 for Annandale Bradford Lee Gilbert Sketchbook (PDF)
There was a explosion at this station in 1901. The station agent was burned by acetylene gas while refilling the generator. Another explosion was in January 1903.
Annandale Peach Exchange c. 1899
This photo is the only known photo of the Annandale Peach Exchange. It shows a wagon-load of peaches and many of the local farmers and residents, including some young boys, being where the action was.
The Annandale Peach Exchange was located across from Farrington Lumber (Main and East Streets in Annandale).
Published by S.A. Seals 1907
Published by S.J. Carhart 1908
Railroad Station, Annandale, N.J. 1911
Postmarked May 10, 1912
On Sunday, Sept 2,1934 the station (above) burned to the ground and a new smaller station (below) was built and was completed in May 1935 with J. Nelson Alpaugh, station agent.
This was a modular unit brought in by rail and assembled.
September 10, 1979
September 10, 1979
Note the hole in the roof. Must not have been long after this when it was razed. They call it "demolition by neglect".
Scale model of Annandale Station
Central Railroad of New Jersey - Built west from Elizabeth and Jersey City in the 1830s, reaching Easton in 1852. This stop spawned the town of Clinton Station, renamed Annandale in 1873.
NJ 28 Annandale 1905 sent old CRR NJ culvert postcard
from 1870 Hunterdon Republican Newspaper - Fired! Date: 1 July 1870.
FRECK, Michael, of Clinton Station [Annandale] has received notice to
vacate the position of Station Agent, a place which he has well and
honorably filled for twenty-three years. His head comes off the first
of July. HOFFMAN, Edward, has received the appointment. No. further
Abstract from Jan. 30, 1983 NY Times - Mr. Premo said NJ Transit had decided to concentrate most equipment, station and service improvements east of Raritan. ''Our concern about stretching out the line,'' he explained, ''is that most commuters are not that far out.'' Only two trains a day operate from Phillipsburg. Louis N. Scholar of Clinton Township catches the train in Annandale for the two-hour ride he has made each morning since he moved from Manhattan 13 years ago. Mr. Scholar, a floor broker at the New York Stock Exchange, said NJ Transit and its predecessors had done nothing to encourage ridership in the western communities, which are now expected to grow in response to the relocation to central New Jersey of several large corporations.
''When I bought my house 13 years ago, the Annandale Station had a ticket agent and a potbellied stove,'' he said. ''Now it's just a devastated shack. In bad weather, it leaks so bad that you just wait in your car until the train whistle blows.''
There was also a freight station that was built at the end of the Civil War and was torn down in the Summer of 1960.