Annandale, New Jersey History

Home | Annandale History | Picture Gallery

White House Station

Station 1906
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 1892 building was a former NJ Central Railroad Station. Designed in the H.H. Richardson style by Bradford Gilbert, it is characterized by heavy, rough-cut stone exterior, broad roof planes, and arched entryways. Painstakingly restored by the community in 1981, it now serves as the Readington Township Public Library. A visit to the "ladies waiting room" is a must!

R.R. Station at White House Station, N.J.

Public Stage

Main St., Whitehouse Station, NJ  June 5, 1907

Whitehouse Station 1905

The Rockaway Valley Railway, also known as the New Jersey & Pennsylvania Railroad, had a short life, closing down freight and passenger operations in 1914. It ran from White House to Morristown via Oldwick, Pottersville, Peapack, Ralston, Menham, Brookside & Washington Valley. The railroad had its own station at White House (right side). The Central Railroad of New Jersey, with which the NY&P connected, had a separate freight station (left) and a stone passenger station (left foreground).

Birdseye view Pickell's Mt., Whitehouse Station 1905

Post Office 1906


Voorhees Building

Voorhees Building colorized

Voorhees Building

Main St. looking North

Main St. looking South

Main St. looking South

View of Town Looking North 1907-1912

South Main St. 1915


North Main St. 1927

Main St. 1947

Main St. 1950s


Union Hotel V.F. Roche, Prop.


Methodist Church 1906

Reformed Church 1908

Refromed Church interior 1905


Mountain View


Post Office and General Store of John Lane

Ryman Farm 1905
Became the Ryland Inn


The Ryland Inn, built in Readington on the New Jersey Turnpike, which was chartered in 1806 and familiarly called “the old highway” from New Brunswick to Easton, was owned by Col. David Sanderson around 1850. Part of a collection of buildings for a blacksmith, farrier, and stables that served early stage coaches, the inn was purchased in 1905 by Kencyl Llwelyn Ryman and ultimately passed to his granddaughter, Phyllis Black, who ran a notable restaurant there for many years. The building, sited on a large farm complex, is described in part in the County’s 1979 Sites of Historic Interest as a two-and-a-half story Victorian Gothic structure with smaller one-and-a-half story wings.